TIPS & IDEAS
CARING FOR YOUR FURNITURE -
It is important to follow these simple tips and guidelines when caring for furniture of any material. Wood, metal, stone, and different upholsteries will act and react differently when exposed to improper cleaners, which will void any warranty. To keep your furniture investment in pristine condition, we recommend the following precautionary measures:
- Always use premium quality natural waxes and polishes to care for your furniture. Stay away from polishes or furniture care products that contain harmful chemicals like silicon or water. Silicon and/or water will harm the finish over time and gradually seep into the wood leaving a white film or haze. It is important to note that most polishes sold today contain silicon and/or water, so it is best to use products like Aristowax wood silk polish, Antiquax, Liberon or Jacpol cleaners, polishes and waxes to care for your new solid wood furniture investment. These are premium furniture care brands from England that are available exclusively at MBW Furniture.
- As soon as you receive your furniture, we suggest immediately polishing ALL surfaces with Aristowax Wood Silk Furniture Polish or with a beeswax cream or paste. Aristowax will polish, clean and nourish the wood as it contains beeswax and chemicals that are safe for the finish and wood. Aristowax is also ideal for solid wood antique and is the polish of choice in Great Britain. Use sparingly, ‘A little goes a long way’ and it brings a magnificent shine and protection to the finish. After the first application, wait 7-10 days before polishing all surfaces again. Thereafter, polishing with Aristowax Wood Silk every 21-30 days will suffice. If you use a paste furniture wax or furniture cream polish (preferably containing natural beeswax), polishing every 90-120 days is sufficient. Occasionally polishing with Aristowax Wood Silk is recommended every 30 days, but not necessary, or simply using a soft DRY cloth and wiping it down to remove dust or debris build up.
- When moving your furniture, always handle gently with care. Do not drag your furniture – use furniture sliders. Stay away from forklifts as we recommend manual handling by people.
- Please open the packaging gently, when using any blade or knife. Be careful not to scratch the furniture
- Please do not place the furniture close to any fireplace, air conditioning, or heater where the humidity is much lower; our mahogany wood comes from a climate with high humidity levels. While our furniture is treated and kiln dried twice to 8-12% MC, any extreme changes in climate/humidity levels may increase the risks of cracking or warping in the wood, if it is not cared for properly.
- Please do not place the furniture in direct sun light - this may fade the finish, and increase the risk of cracking.
- Please do not use strong harmful chemicals when cleaning or polishing the furniture - Please apply small amounts in a hidden area first before applying to all surfaces. Please make sure the furniture care product that you use is suitable for the finish of the furniture, whether wax, painted, NC, and/or PU. Always apply cleaners/polishes with soft clothes. Always use premium quality natural waxes and polishes. Stay away from polishes or furniture care products that contain harmful silicon or water. Silicon and/or water will harm the finish over time and gradually seep into the wood leaving a white film or haze. It is important to note that most polishes sold today contain silicon and/or water, so it is best to use products like Aristowax wood silk polish, Antiquax, Liberon or Jacpol Waxes to care for your new solid wood furniture. These are premium furniture care brands from England that are available exclusively at MBW Furniture.
- Always use coasters when placing hot or cold beverages on any surfaces.